Recent News » Director of Research
EcoAgriculture Partners announces the following opportunity:
Director of Research
Posted September 28, 2012
EcoAgriculture Partners is a non-profit organization that works internationally to bring about a world where landscapes are managed to improve rural livelihoods, conserve native ecosystems, and sustainably produce food and fiber The organization does so by providing training, research, policy solutions, and support to farmers, communities, and organizations at local, national and international levels. To learn more about EcoAgriculture Partners, please visit our website at www.ecoagriculture.org.
A centerpiece of EcoAgriculture Partners’ work from 2011-2014 is to facilitate and co-lead the Landscapes for People, Food, and Nature Initiative—a collaborative, international effort to advance and scale-up integrated agricultural landscape approaches worldwide. The Initiative is doing so by developing and communicating the evidence base related to such approaches, fostering cross-sectoral knowledge sharing and dialogue, and developing and implementing a global action agenda. In these ways, the Initiative will improve multi-stakeholder management systems in landscapes where food production, ecosystem health and human well-being must be achieved simultaneously. For more information, please visit the Initiative website at www.landscapes.ecoagriculture.org and the Initiative blog at http://blog.ecoagriculture.org.
To support the above efforts, EcoAgriculture Partners is hiring a Director of Research to join our committed team in Washington, DC, as soon as possible. The Director of Research will lead research efforts for EcoAgriculture Partners, including with long-term collaborators at Cornell University, and will facilitate collaborative science and knowledge activities for the Landscapes for People, Food and Nature Initiative, including a Global Review of scientific evidence and knowledge gaps about integrated landscape approaches. We seek to hire a highly motivated individual who is committed to advancing the science of integrated agricultural landscape management, and ensuring high-quality scientific outputs from our organization. The position calls for an individual who is able to mobilize research internationally and synthesize research findings for policy and practice audiences. It calls also for rigorous and creative approaches to understanding functions and processes in integrated agricultural landscapes. This is a full-time salaried position with benefits. The position will involve domestic and international travel approximately 25% time.
The Director of Research will:
- Work with the EcoAgriculture Partners team to develop and implement the organization’s research strategy in line with its 2011-2014 Strategic Plan, which includes assessing the impacts of landscape initiatives, synthesis of research on key scientific questions in landscapes, and analysis of market innovations;
- Implement scientific studies and provide analytical input to development activities;
- Ensure high standards for EcoAgriculture Partners’ research activities and analytical products;
- Collaborate with research partners around the world to advance the Global Review and the Science and Knowledge Systems Working Group of the Landscapes for People, Food and Nature Initiative;
- Supervise post-doctoral fellows, project managers and research assistants, including those based at Cornell University;
- Participate in EcoAgriculture Partners’ Senior Leadership Team which is responsible for internal strategy and major management decisions across the organization.
Required Experience and Skills:
- PhD in ecology, agriculture/agronomy, geography, natural resources, earth sciences, international development, land use and regional planning, economics, social science or a related field;
- At least six years of relevant research experience;
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- Outstanding writing skills;
- Experience in communicating scientific issues to policy audiences;
- Strong record of peer-reviewed publications;
- Experience in research planning and team management;
- Experience in interdisciplinary research related to land use and landscape management, ideally in the context of agricultural systems;
- Ability to work and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment;
- Ability to be an effective leader of a diverse, international team;
- Legal right to work in the United States.
Desirable Experience and Skills:
- Ability to read, speak and comprehend additional major global languages, particularly French or Spanish;
- At least six months’ experience working in a developing country;
- Experience in applied land and resource use strategy and planning;
- Experience in impact assessment.
Salary and Benefits:
The annual salary range for this position is $85,000-$115,000, depending on experience. Benefits include 29 days of combined annual and holiday leave; sick leave; health insurance; and a retirement contribution. This full-time position is based in Washington, DC, and will begin as soon as possible.
Please e-mail a cover letter (maximum of 2 pages) describing your background, experience, and interest in this position; your current curriculum vitae; three first-authored peer-reviewed publications; and three professional references.
Please email completed applications, with the subject line “Director of Research—[your name]” to Rachel Friedman, email@example.com. Review of applications will commence on October 26, 2012 and continue until the position is filled.
Posted By EcoAgriculture Partners at 1:26pm on 26 October 2012